Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sitcom Aborted, Failure to Launch (Part 1)

So I'm partcipating in poker night at a bar downtown (I can't be wallowing in self pity all alone every night) and I find myself in a situation that anyone who plays Texas Hold 'Em will find familiar. And it reminds me that this isn't the first time I've considered moving downtown, and could just kick myself.

Cards are dealt and I find myself with two cards that many people would often fold but I tend to find interesting (important information for anyone who plays poker with me about to be revealed). They're low cards, they're not suited and they're not connectors. They are close enough to each other that they could conceivably complete a straight and I'm in the small blind, which means it's only 10 chips for me to call, which is what I was prepared to do..........

Someone at my table either was dealt a pocket pair or decided they wanted to buy the pot before the flop because by the time the bet came around to me it was 300 chips to stay in the game. Did I mention I was the short stack at the table? Calling 300 would leave me with little else, so I would have been forced to go in. I don't know about you, but I did not want to be the guy who went out of the tournament first because he was deluded enough to go all in with a 3-5 off suit.

So I folded.

The flop completed the straight.

The pot-bully had pocket Aces. Betting was fierce.

Had I stayed in I would have more than quadrupled my stack. As it was I only lasted a few more hands before I was out of game and down at the bar tossing back Maker's and coke to numb the agony of defeat.

That's when I started to realize how similar this situation was to that fateful lunchtime walk I took back in 2004, when a potential sitcom was summarily aborted due to lack of funds.

TO BE CONTINUED..........

No comments:

Post a Comment